The #StJoan100 Task Force (started by the Joan of Arc Project / Krewe de Jeanne d’Arc) is a community organization coordinating events across the community and throughout the year 2020 in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the canonization of New Orleans’ unofficial patron saint, Joan of Arc. Here are some projects and events in the works:
- Ongoing St. Joan Face Masks for sale (sold out, but you can order the fabric to make them yourself)
- Ongoing Krewe de Jeanne d’Arc face mask in the style of a medieval knight helmet face guard. Sold through the Art of the Parade Society as a fundraiser for the Feed the Second Line meals for musicians program.
- Ongoing: 100 Images of Joan Social Media campaign
- If you see St. Joan popping up anywhere around New Orleans, snap a pic and submit images through the website
- We’d especially like to collect photos of artwork depicting Joan in area churches and public spaces, so if you know of any places with Joan statues, stained glass or other art, snap a photo and submit it
- Other categories: Joan art by local artists, photographs of people costumed as Joan, Joan art displayed in New Orleans homes, Joan throws produced by the krewe, children’s art, posters, stuff in shops, etc.
- January 6, 2020: The annual Joan of Arc Parade will take place on Joan’s birthday and Twelfth Night as usual. To celebrate the 100th, special features of the parade includede:
- A new St. Joan statue to be carried in classic medieval saint procession style on a litter with a canopy
- One-year-only 100th anniversary doubloons and playing cards.
- February 7 and 9: The New Orleans Opera will produce Tchaikovsky’s Joan of Arc opera.
- May 15-June 22 Joan of Art Film Fest Fridays — watch a different film each week (we provide free links to most of them) and join us for the Zoom discussion on Fridays at 8 p.m.
- Joan of Art Juried Art Show contest — Deadline July 17. Selected original Joan of Arc artworks will be considered for a gallery show at Ariodante Gallery in the New Orleans Arts District as well as other exhibits and promotions of the art pieces. The show will run through September with a gallery opening Sept. 5. A call for artists was issued through the New Orleans Arts Council. View the call and submit here.
- Week of May 26-May 31 St. Joan Altars #StJoan100 Create your own St. Joan altar, display or pop-up artwork honoring St. Joan.
- May 30: The feast day (death day) of St. Joan of Arc
- 5:30 p.m. Virtual ecumenical celebration prayer service honoring Joan facilitated by Sister Alison McCrary, SFCC. Sister Alison is also a member of the Krewe de Jeanne d’Arc and portrays Joan listening to God’s voice in the annual Joan of Arc parade.
- 6 p.m. virtual Feast Day party for Krewe members and prospective members.
- September 19-Oct. 3: Salon de Jeanne d’Arc virtual Keynote speaker New York Times best selling poet David Elliott discussing his new poem novel “Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc.” Also featuring performance readings of female medieval poet Christine Pizan’s Joan of Arc poem with a lecture by Loyola French literature professor Thomas Martin.